Subject: multi computer build
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: John Maier <jmaier@midamerica.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/10/2001 17:08:51
This may be a little off topic for this group, but is there way use several
machines to build (make) a project?

This would be really nice in cases of slower machines,  where a person has
several at their disposal and could (in theory) decrease the time to build by
1/nth the time of a single machine.

I have tried this in the past as the other machine get into a race condition on
the same file(s) and both machines bomb out on the build.

One place this would be nice would be in kernel builds.

I DO realize that I could just cross compile, but that's just not as fun as
building in a vintage uVAX II over serveral days and the other is just sitting
idle.

Just wondering...

John Maier - Administrator
Midamerica Internet Services