Subject: pkgsrc installing binary packages
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 05/02/2001 16:19:58
I was thinking that pkgsrc should have a method that allows installing
binary packages (if available). Maybe using environment variable
"USE_BINARY_PKG". If it is set, then look in PACKAGES (or use *PKG_URL),
before attempting any build from source.

I see in Packages.txt: "... you can use the the "bin-install" target,
which will install a binary package - if available - via pkg_add ..."

But no other details about this "bin-install" target. It doesn't look to
be implemented completely in bsd.pkg.mk.

Can anyone explain this? Provide (or point me to) further documentation?

Or is my idea not implemented? If not, is anyone interested?

Thanks,

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/