Subject: Re: pkg_create dumping core (NetBSD-current)
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/28/2001 01:22:17
    Date:        Fri, 27 Apr 2001 02:01:50 +0200 (MET DST)
    From:        Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>

  | Try "pkg_admin rebuild",

Thanks, that fixed the file, and after that pkg_create no longer dumps core.

But now there are two bugs to track - why pkg_create (really the db btree
routines in libc I think) are crashing when then see what was apparently
a mal-formed file (they shouldn't do that really).

And how the file got into a bad state to begin with.   Nothing odd happened
with this pkgsrc install - this was a system that had been running wintrash,
I killed that, and installed NetBSD on it, then started compiling packages
from pkgsrc.   This is an old pc (PII/300) with a small old slow drive,
and (at the time, it has been much increased now) just 32MB ram.   So, I
wasn't doing anything fancy.   Just pick a package, "make install" it,
then go onto the next.

So, there were certainly never two packages being installed at the same
time (no locking problems on the db file could be responsible), other
than the pkg_create core files, nothing failed to build for any unexplained
reason (I'm just building garden variety stuff, even if some of it is big).
No out of space conditions on /var, no (reported) I/O errors of any kind.

Yet something apparently trashed the file...

I am still looking (I still have the bad file, and I have no difficulty
getting gdb to show me what is happening).

kre