Subject: Re: NetBSD 1.3, pkgsrc and OBJECT_FMT
To: David Brownlee <abs@formula1.com>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/27/2001 08:49:23
On Thu, Apr 26, 2001 at 05:46:09PM +0100, David Brownlee wrote:
> 	pkgsrc currently assumes the base system sets OBJECT_FMT.
> 	This is not the case in 1.3 - and in addition to producing
> 	various warning messages it breaks the install in some cases
> 	- I have a 1.3 machine on which I cannot install
> 	imap-uw-2000.0.3nb1 unless I have installed libtool with
> 	OBJECT_FMT manually set.

The only places where I see OBJECT_FMT used in bsd.pkg.mk, there are
checks around it - if OBJECT_FMT is undefined, then you will just not
have your shared libs checked in the check-shlibs target, and the
dependency checks will either exit or warn depending on the value of
FATAL_OBJECT_FMT_SKEW.

Please note that I'm not speaking for libtool here.

> 	I think we should test for OBJECT_FMT and set it for older NetBSD
> 	systems, but what is the best way - a switch table similar to that
> 	in bsd.own.mk, or some nasty 'file' command on the pkg_install
> 	binary?

If you're really interested in what type of shared lib will be made on
the machine, then you can use:

	make show-shlib-type

Regards,
Alistair