Subject: Re: Binary package sets
To: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
From: Dr. Rene Hexel <rh@vip.at>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/24/2001 13:25:03
Alistair Crooks wrote:

> Our resources are not exactly overabundant at the moment. Adding
> to the workload is, to me, infeasible.
>
> I could be wrong, and it all manages itself, but somehow, I don't
> think so.

  Let me add to this by emphasizing that (unlike the base tree of
NetBSD-current) we have a policy of not replacing a stable release
version in pkgsrc with an unstable beta version.  If there is reason
enough to import a `bleeding edge' version, usually an additional
`<packagename>-current' package gets imported.  Also, the package team
doesn't usually control the original source code.  Therefore, it would
be a lot harder for us to track and pull up (to a set of release
branches) any security or bug fixes (while leaving out feature updates)
from newer package versions.

  I admit that there is always the odd chance that something goes wrong
and some newer version of a package shows some unexpected instability.
However, that has happened to us on -release branches of the base source
as well.  That alone does not really warrant multiplying our workload!

  Cheers
      ,
   Rene