Subject: Re: Optional Dependancies
To: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/21/2001 16:59:46
On Sat, 21 Apr 2001, Chris Gilbert wrote:
> OPTIONAL_DEPENDS +=	pilot-link>=0.9.3:../../misc/pilot-link:message about
> what this extra package will add.

What will the second component here be used for? If the optional pkg in
question is already installed, it's not used, and if it's not installed,
we sure don't want it installed, so I think we can just drop it, and
display the message ("You could gain this functionality if you installed
the FOO pkg: ...").

Adding the found optional depends to the list of depends is fine, and I
don't think it'll make bulk builds more complicated - they just won't have
the optional depends installed, and thus aim for core functionality.

> If an optional package needs to set options to enable the functionality some
> way of detecting this might be needed eg:
> .if ${OPT_pilot-link}
> 	CONFIGURE_ENV+=  -enable-palm-link
> .endif

This is where it's getting messy.. where is OPT_pilot-link set?
to be useful, it must be set before that line, and I can only guess the
work is done by bsd.pkg.mk.

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>