Subject: Re: make fetch should complain when distfile's size is 0
To: Tomasz Luchowski <zuntum@netbsd.org>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/16/2001 15:09:46
On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Tomasz Luchowski wrote:

> It would be nice if we could check if distfile's size == 0 && complain.

It should give a "Cecksum mismatch" when used with regular "make" though.

In addition, sometimes only part of a distfile is downloaded (so mostly
unusable). It should compare the size to the correct size (which currently
isn't recorded).

If it doesn't abort from a bad checksum, if I recall correctly the error
messages aren't currently very user friendly or understandable
at this time (at least for a newbie or my mother).

gzcat: /usr/pkg/pkgsrc/distfiles//vorbis-tools-1.0beta4.tar.gz: unexpected
 end of file /usr/bin/tar: Unexpected EOF on archive file
 ===> Patching for vorbis-tools-1.0beta4
*** Why patching when tar seemed to fail?
 ===> Applying NetBSD patches for vorbis-tools-1.0beta4

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/