Subject: Re: kde2 needs kde1?
To: Ruibiao Qiu <ruibiao@arl.wustl.edu>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/06/2001 22:47:36
> >I think that I know what the problem is:
> >
> >When you update, say, kdebase2 on a system with KDE 1.x, it removes a
> >bunch of stuff, and causes the kdelibs2 package to also update (deinstall
> >more stuff).  It then notes that those have been uninstalled (from the 1.x
> >KDE).  Then it builds KDE 2.x stuff.  Then it tries to re-install the 1.x
 [...]
> It resolves itself somehow after I did a "make clean" under kdebase2.  BTW,
> kdelibs2 builds well, it was just kdebase2 tries to install kdenetwork1.x.

Depending on exactly where it failed before, this isn't inconsistant with
what I said.  (^&

The pkgsrc process works, in part, by marking dependancies in files under
the work/ directory.  If you do a make clean, work/ gets deleted, along
with the memory of the KDE 1.x packages that got deleted.  (At least,
that's my understanding.  Perhaps someone with a better understanding of
pkgsrc would like to install KDE 1.x, then try to ``make update'' to KDE
2.x on the same machine and see what, if anything, breaks.)

(Hm.  You're at WUSTL?  Somehow I had in mind that you were posting from a
.in domain in the past.  Or am I thinking of someone else?)

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu