Subject: Re: kde2 needs kde1?
To: Ruibiao Qiu <ruibiao@arl.wustl.edu>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/06/2001 00:51:24
I think that I know what the problem is:

When you update, say, kdebase2 on a system with KDE 1.x, it removes a
bunch of stuff, and causes the kdelibs2 package to also update (deinstall
more stuff).  It then notes that those have been uninstalled (from the 1.x
KDE).  Then it builds KDE 2.x stuff.  Then it tries to re-install the 1.x
stuff that it delted, so it deinstalls the 2.x stuff and
rebuilds/reinstalls the 1.x stuff.

That, in any case, is my understanding.  It's not that KDE 2.x depends
upon 1.x; it's simply that pkgsrc may be treating the two versions as
distinct packages rather than as different versions of the same package,
so it's trying to install them simultaneously.

If I'm right, to update to KDE 2.x, if you have KDE 1.x installed, and use
pkgsrc for both: First wipe out KDE 1.x manually.  Then build/install KDE
2.x.  (I'm not sure what the best fix to pkgsrc is, then, though.  Can
pkgsrc accomodate something like this?  Or should the KDE's just be marked
as mutually incompatible?)

Anyway.  Try that, and see if it works any better.  (^&

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu