Subject: Re: Kerberos in pkgsrc
To: Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@zembu.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 04/02/2001 07:50:37
On Fri, 30 Mar 2001, Johnny C. Lam wrote:

> I think I didn't explain clearly.  I was asking if we should have
> USE_KERBEROS, or perhaps new variables USE_KERBEROS{4,5} that trigger
> the installation of kth-krb4 and heimdal if the equivalents aren't
> present in the base system.  This would be much like how USE_SSL
> triggers the installation of openssl on systems where it isn't present
> in the base system.  It would be kind of tricky if there was a MIT
> Kerberos V implementation in the base system, like I think recent
> versions of Solaris have.  In this case, I'm inclined to say, "This is
> the NetBSD Packages Collection, so we'll just assume Kerberos V ==
> Heimdal."

Yes, but the NetBSD packages system doesn't necessarily mean NetBSD. ;-)
Think of what this will do for zoularis. Will it totally bust it?

I'm not saying you have to get whatever answer you come up with right for
Solaris, Linux, or any other OS we've ported the package system to, but
please don't design something which will be hard to make work on something
other than NetBSD.

Take care,

Bill