Subject: Re: KDE2: libtool needs a whack on the head
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Nick Hudson <skrll@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/26/2001 08:13:31
Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> After only ten hours of compiling KDE2, startkde didn't start kicker
> (ex-kpanel). After a bit of debugging, I saw this in a ktrace of
> 'startkde':

>   7868 kdeinit  RET   read 4294/0x10c6
>   7868 kdeinit  PSIG  SIGSEGV SIG_DFL
>   7868 kdeinit  NAMI  "kdeinit.core"
>
> That's after reading kicker.la. Looking at that file (attached below),
> I tried editing the dependency_libs line a bit, and after stripping out
> the most redundancy (i.e. i got it down to 6 lines), running
> "startkde" started kicker fine.

Hmm. I thought'd I'd increased the buffer for this so that it is large
enough (for now) see libtool/pathces/patch-ae

> Nick: can we make libtool optimize this a bit, please? ;-)

I'll ask in libtool land what can be done...

> (Even if each -l option leads to only one stat(), this takes it's
> time. And I don't want to investigate what's in these .la files on that
> line...!)

This should only impact compile performance now. Its used to impact
runtime, but I got that fixed.

Nick
--
aka skrll@netbsd.org, skrll@excite.co.uk