Subject: Re: threading lib [was: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc]
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Dan Winship <danw@ximian.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/25/2001 21:22:53
> Is there a special reason why to use ptl2 over - say - unproven-pthreads?

unproven doesn't work on all architectures, right?

> > Use PTL2 as the pthreads library so that knode actually does something.

Yeah, devel/pth as we're building it is not usable as a pthread
replacement. It *does* work if you add "--enable-syscall-hard" to the
configure flags, but it warns you about how unsupported and untested
that functionality is. But I've been running it that way for months now
and have only had a few problems, all fixable, so at some point I was
going to suggest we should start building it that way. But maybe if ptl2
works well, we should switch to that? Looking at the README and stuff,
it looks like it's being more actively maintained than pth. (Ooh, and it
has a debugging facility!)

-- Dan