Subject: Re: muhah
To: Noriyuki Soda <soda@sra.co.jp>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/23/2001 09:44:23
On Fri, Mar 23, 2001 at 06:31:00PM +0900, Noriyuki Soda wrote:
> > pkgsrc runs on Solaris and Linux as well as NetBSD.  For anyone who is
> > worried, I, personally, have no intention of making pkgsrc work on
> > Windows.  Openssl is only in later versions of the base system on
> > NetBSD.  For previous versions, there is only the package, and there
> > we run into bootstrap problems again.
>
> Isn't there any way to use OpenSSL to calcurate digests on systems
> which already have it.
> It certainly make sense to use smaller package on systems which
> don't have OpenSSL by default.
>
> But it is nice if we can use OpenSSL on NetBSD-1.5 or later.

Personally, I think the solution that we have in place at the moment
is better than checks to see what version of OS we're running, when
we're about to calculate a digest, then checks to see if that version
of openssl uses the sha1 code in libc which is unsuitably-aligned on
some platforms, and, if so, to fall-back to digest, which is there
all the time.

I prefer to standardise on one method, and use that over all operating
systems.

Regards,
Alistair