Subject: Re: digest
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: None <mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/21/2001 09:47:58
On Wed, 21 Mar 2001, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> On Wed, 21 Mar 2001 mcmahill@mtl.mit.edu wrote:
> > I'd rather see digest (or cksum or whatever) handled more like the
> > pkg_install tools.  ie, if a minor change is made to digest, i'd like to
> > not see a complete rebuild of all pkgs in a bulk build get triggered.  i
> > already have been conditioned to flinch when libtool gets touched.
>
> We can fix this in other ways than the current, too.
> BUILD_DEPENDS come to mind, or an even better solution would be to sync
> out BUILD_DEPENDS syntax with that of DEPENDS (for the first part).

but an updated BUILD_DEPENDS will also cause a pkg to want to be rebuilt.
I suppose one could make the argument that digest really is a
BUILD_DEPENDS and thus digest is updated you really do want to rebuild all
your pkgs, but we don't currently cause all pkgs to be rebuilt when
bsd.pkg.mk or pkg_install is touched.

-Dan