Subject: Re: hardcoding rman [was: Re: CVS commit: pkgsrc]
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/19/2001 21:09:17
On Mon, 19 Mar 2001, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 20 Mar 2001, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > > Don't let kde install it's own "rman". Instead, compile in the correct
> > > path to rman. The determination as to whether it's the package rman
> > > or the XFree86-4.x installed rman is left to bsd.pkg.mk (via USE_RMAN).
> >
> > This smells like "you have to use the same X version the person who built
> > the binary package had". Can we please get rid of that? I don't care if we
> > have to move the rman pkg to $X11BASE for that...
>
> Why? There's no way you can run binary packages built against
> XFree86-4.x on a stock system, is there?

I'd like to point out that the other way, running a "kdebase" package
built against netbsd-1-5 under XFree86-4.x, should "just work",
because the package will still depend on the rman package (which
installs to ${LOCALBASE). The two "rman"s don't overwrite each other's
files, and the "DEPENDS=rman-3.0.9:..." is tightly coupled to the
definition of ${RMAN} in bsd.pkg.mk, so you can't really go wrong.

Frederick