Subject: kdebase2 and xfree86 v4.0.2 build problem
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Gilbert <chris@paradox.demon.co.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/17/2001 00:21:59
Hi,

While trying to build kdebase2 i've been having problems to do with the
greeter directory.

Now I think the key is that I'm running xfree86 v4.0.2

configure outputs:
checking whether to build a shared greeter for xdm... no

the build fails with:
gmake[3]: Entering directory
`/extra2/obj/pkgsrc/x11/kdebase2/work.i386/kdebase-2.1/kdm'
gmake[3]: *** No rule to make target `greeter/libKdmGreet.la', needed by
`kdm'.  Stop.
gmake[3]: Leaving directory
`/extra2/obj/pkgsrc/x11/kdebase2/work.i386/kdebase-2.1/kdm'

doing some playing around with imake etc it seems that
SharedLibXdmGreet is always no (see about line 520 of NetBSD.cf in
xsrc/xfree/xc/config/cf)  which is why configure outputs the no to shared
greeter.

It seems the problem is that patch-ac hardcodes us to using a dynamic greeter
library.  Is that the right behaviour?  should X be compiled up using
dynamic greeter libraries?  I'm about to try rebuilding over
night, so I'll know if that works in the monring.

The reason it doesn't effect v3.3.x is that SharedLibXdmGreet appears not to
get set in the cf dir, but that suggests that xdm greeter libraries aren't
available and shouldn't be used in kdebase2.  note that configure script for
kdebase2 seems to take SharedLibXdmGreet being undef as meaning YES, which
just seems plain wrong.

Anyone had success with xfree86 v4 and kdebase 2?

Cheers,
Chris