Subject: Re: Undefined symbols using kde package from 1.5?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Scott Presnell <srp@zgi.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/14/2001 12:31:08
Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> To recap, for those who missed the start of this on current-users and
> port-i386, Scott was unable run kde installed from binary (missing
> symbols), but a private build went OK.
>
> On Wed, 14 Mar 2001, Scott Presnell wrote:
>
> > Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> > > And "kde" depends on "qwspritefield"?
> >
> > Yes.
> >
> > > Scott -- if you give me a list
> > > of packages that appear to be broken, I can remove them. That's all I
> > > intend to do. Sorry.
> >
> > I think it's just qwspritefield and kdelibs that depend on qt, but I
> > rebuilt all the kde prefix packages "just in case."
>
> I still don't quite understand what went wrong. What packages
> (filenames or url's please) did you install that gave the errors?

I was working on a freshly installed machine so I installed the meta
package kde-1.1.2.

> It would be really helpful if you could supply that information.
> Naturally, it would be bad if we have to tell everyone that "kde",
> "gnome", et. al. must be built from source.
'
I don't think I mentioned gnome before this sentence... :-/

Use google to search for "kde __pure_virtual" or see for example
http://lists.openresources.com/Debian/debian-user/msg08874.html

To the best of my knowledge from reports in the linux world it
was a problem in the intra-library calls between qt1 and
kdelibs.   The other package implied in this process was
qwspritefield. Some change in qt1 seems to be the root of the
problem; anything directly depedent upon qt1 is suspect.

I rebuilt all kde packages because I wasn't sure if there were
other kde c++ based libs, dependent on qt, buried in kdegames,
or kdeutils, etc.

	Thanks.

	- Scott