Subject: Re: pkg_add/PKG_PATH
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/13/2001 19:32:11
On Tue, 13 Mar 2001, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:
> Does this sound okay? Any improvements?
>
> Then, I'll send-pr it.

No need for that - I committed this:

DESCRIPTION
     The pkg_add command is used to extract packages that have been previously
     created with the pkg_create(1) command.  Packages are prepared collec-
     tions of pre-built binaries, documentation, configurations, installation
     instructions and/or other files.  pkg_add can recursively install other
     packages that the current package depends on or requires from both local
     disk and via FTP.

BTW if you want to read a bit more about the dependency handling and it's
interaction with FTP and local pkgs, see:

	http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/software/pkg-wildcards.html

When we implemented wildcards, it was very important for me that they
didn't work only from local disk (which some people voiced would be
enough), but also via FTP. It took a bit to get the ideas into shape, and
I had a good time keeping the people who didn't care for the wildcards
from using them in places where installing binary pkgs via FTP would have
been broken, but finally we got the FTP code right and switched over to a
full wildcard based depends system.

That's about 14 months ago now, btw. ;-)

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>