Subject: Re: Names for prerelease pkgs
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/11/2001 17:58:16
Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de> writes:

> It seems we are lacking some notation for prerelease packages. The case
> where I hit this is the sysutils/nut-ups packages. We currently have 0.44.2
> in tree, and I'd like to update to the 0.44.3 prerelease 5.
>
> Using nut-ups-0.44.3pre5 or nut-ups-0.44.3b5 would erroneously match
> dependecies like >=0.44.3.
>
> So, in this case there are no pkgs depending on this - but the general
> question remains: how should we name prerelease packages and should we add
> special code to handle this to the version matching code?

Well, nut-ups-0.44.2.5 is a reasonable choice.  There are a few other
artificial package numbers in pkgsrc that do this to deal with
"prerelease" or "release candidate" version numbers, e.g. net/bind9,
wm/wmx-current.

	Cheers,

     -- Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
        Department of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University
        http://www.stat.cmu.edu/~lamj/