Subject: Re: glib/gtk update?
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/09/2001 14:15:10
On Fri, 9 Mar 2001, Jared D. McNeill wrote:

# > f) Tell the user to change the permissions on the raw cdrom device
# > nodes. (Assuming that that works, it's no more than you have to do to
# > get a ripper to run as non-root.)
#
# This is definitely the best idea yet -- I seem to remember CD player
# applications telling me to change the mode on the CDROM device as well.
# What about the other burning packages (sysutils/gcombust for example)?
# We'll definitely have to show a message for them as well.

The thing about running rippers non-root is that root can mlock() entire
memory regions (at least cdrecord complains that mlock() fails).
Also, if you run set-uid root, you can renice(-20) the process.

# Jared

				--*greywolf;
--
*BSD: Someday, we won't burn your toast.