Subject: Re: SuSE KDE21 Anyone?
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Jerry A! <jerry@thehutt.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/09/2001 10:38:38
On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 04:25:02PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
: On Fri, 9 Mar 2001, Jerry A! wrote:
: Cool. Can you comment on the ressouce usage of it, compared to 2.0(.1)?
: What's your machine like (arch, clock, ram)?
:
: On my PIII-800 w/ 128MB RAM, 2.0.1 was really a mem hog and starting up
: new konquerors was not very speedy...

When I have some info I'll get pass it on.  However, on any platform I
used KDE on, it's still faster and smaller than Mozilla.

: > I had the bright idea of trying to get KDE 2.1 working under Linux
: > emulation.  Hey, if this works, I'll even be able to use Macromedia's
: > flash plugin.  8)
:
: Wuah, why not bug Macromedia to release a binary for NetBSD, or even
: better, sources? We could compile our own then. Maybe they should think
: about the word "Open Source"...

One thing at a time, please.  I've been bugging them for years.  I'll
continue to do so.

: > I then proceed to run "kdeinit" and get the following error:
: >
: >     Aborting. bind() failed: : No such file or directory
: >
: > It appears as thought DCOP can't bind a socket.  Is there anything
: > special I need to do?  Is this even possible?
:
: sounds like a missing setuid/something not running w/ appropriate
: (i.e. root) privileges.

I don't think so, I'm trying to start kdeinit as root.  8(

        --Jerry

name:  Jerry Alexandratos         ||  Open-Source software isn't a
phone: 703.599.6023               ||  matter of life or death...
email: jerry@thehutt.org          ||  ...It's much more important