Subject: Re: new message digest support in pkgsrc
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/07/2001 10:04:25
On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

: I will not comment where this 'digest' thing belongs. But please make sure
: to understand it has nothing to do with pkg_create, as it does not touch
: the MD5 checksums done for each file in a pkg, but only the distfile and
: patch checksums stored in a files/md5 and files/patch-sum.

Ah.  I misunderstood:  It sounded from my reading of the notice that it was
being used for the binary pkg internal checksums.  Now, I'm rather surprised
that it *isn't*....

: Of course if this whole digest code was in pkg_install/lib, pkg_create
: etc. could be adjusted to actually use the code for the pkg internal
: checksums too, but obviously the designer of this whole 'digest' framework
: didn't think about that. Pity.

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/