Subject: Re: new message digest support in pkgsrc
To: Todd Vierling <>
From: Hubert Feyrer <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/07/2001 15:52:56
On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Todd Vierling wrote:
> All of this doesn't explain well the separate nature of digest (and even why
> it's statically linked)... since it's used solely for generating checksums
> for package registration, it really belongs in pkg_install as a companion to
> pkg_create.  That just seems quite natural.

I will not comment where this 'digest' thing belongs. But please make sure
to understand it has nothing to do with pkg_create, as it does not touch
the MD5 checksums done for each file in a pkg, but only the distfile and
patch checksums stored in a files/md5 and files/patch-sum.

 - Hubert

Of course if this whole digest code was in pkg_install/lib, pkg_create
etc. could be adjusted to actually use the code for the pkg internal
checksums too, but obviously the designer of this whole 'digest' framework
didn't think about that. Pity.

Hubert Feyrer <>