Subject: Re: new message digest support in pkgsrc
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/07/2001 15:52:56
On Wed, 7 Mar 2001, Todd Vierling wrote:
> All of this doesn't explain well the separate nature of digest (and even why
> it's statically linked)... since it's used solely for generating checksums
> for package registration, it really belongs in pkg_install as a companion to
> pkg_create.  That just seems quite natural.

Todd,

I will not comment where this 'digest' thing belongs. But please make sure
to understand it has nothing to do with pkg_create, as it does not touch
the MD5 checksums done for each file in a pkg, but only the distfile and
patch checksums stored in a files/md5 and files/patch-sum.

 - Hubert

P.S.:
Of course if this whole digest code was in pkg_install/lib, pkg_create
etc. could be adjusted to actually use the code for the pkg internal
checksums too, but obviously the designer of this whole 'digest' framework
didn't think about that. Pity.

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>