Subject: Re: new message digest support in pkgsrc
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Alistair Crooks <agc@pkgsrc.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/07/2001 08:44:30
On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 05:50:29PM -0500, Todd Vierling wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Mar 2001, Alistair Crooks wrote:
>
> : > Add support for message digests other than md5 into pkgsrc. This is done
> : > by using the pkgsrc/pkgtools/digest package, and adding dependencies in
> : > bsd.pkg.mk to make sure that that package is up to date.
>
> Why wasn't this just named pkg_digest and pulled into the pkg_install group?

Because I wanted it to be a small utility, separate from all the other
tools, statically-linked, distributed in source with pkgsrc, and
available on every machine, simply by building it.  This is most
definitely not the same as pkg_install.  digest has nothing to do with
the pkg_install tools, and will not be pulled into it.  And it was
called digest, not pkg_digest, since its functionality has nothing to
do with packages.

> I don't see why it needs to be a separate package, particularly since
> pkg_create is in the pkg_install tools.

digest has absolutely nothing to do with pkg_create, or any of the
other pkg_install tools.

> FYI, this chicken-and-egged pkgsrc, as evidenced by a recent post, where a
> system with old pkg_install and no digest can't update any tools (bsd.pkg.mk
> needs new pkg_install, pkg_install needs digest, digest via bsd.pkg.mk needs
> new pkg_install).

No, the bump of the pkg_install tools caused problems. It has nothing to do
with the introduction of digest.

Regards,
Alistair