Subject: Re: CVS and kerberos?
To: Jared D. McNeill <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org>
From: Assar Westerlund <assar@netbsd.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 03/04/2001 01:48:35
"Jared D. McNeill" <jmcneill@invisible.yi.org> writes:
> On Sat, 3 Mar 2001, Jason R Thorpe wrote:
> > The API between MIT and Heimdal is slightly different.  I don't know
> > if it's easy to fix or not.
>
> It seems Kerberos 5 support is broken with ssh as well..

What ssh is that?  The ssh in basesrc didn't have any krb5 support at
all till just recently.

> would it be beneficial to have a compatibility layer
> (libkrb5_compat_mit or something) to implement the MIT API?

I don't think so.  Since the current API is close to the MIT API (the
main problem is that the API is not defined, it has gotten to the
point of being whatever is in krb5.h and applications use), it would
make more sense to:

1. extend it where there are functions that heimdal doesn't provide
   that are used by applications.
2. fix applications where they rely on internal structure that are
   hard to implement in the same way.

It would be most constructive if people can point at functions that do
not exist/do not work they are expected to or programs that fail to
build.

/assar