Subject: Re: USE_READLINE ?
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/28/2001 09:37:14
"Jarommr" Dolecek <jdolecek@netbsd.org> writes:

> What I think would be useful
> * add USE_READLINE variable - this would contain either "yes", or
>   list of "special" stuff this application uses
> * bsd.pkg.mk would test presence of /usr/include/{readline/}readline.h
>   and test if all needed symbols are provided.
> * bsd.pkg.mk would then set LIBREADLINE to either "edit" or "readline",
>   add appropriate _DHAVE_READLINE_{READLINE_}H to CPPFLAGS or add
>   readline to DEPENDS
>
> Since various applications have generally different ways to enable
> line editing, some further adjustments to individual packages would
> need to be done, but hopefully it would not get too hackish.
>
> Opinions ?

It'd be more work than with either ncurses or gettext as the readline
and editline libraries have different names.  I don't think there's a
standard way to check for readline as there was for gettext or
ncurses.  I recall making 4 or 5 different packages prefer editline
over readline and each of them checked for readline and defined
preprocessor macros in different ways.

     -- Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
        Department of Statistics, Carnegie Mellon University
        http://www.stat.cmu.edu/~lamj/