Subject: USE_READLINE ?
To: None <tech-pkg@NetBSD.org>
From: Jaromír <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/28/2001 12:43:12
Hi,
since there is quite a few packages which already are tested
with libedit and work, and couple more which use readline and
would probably work with our libedit instead as well, I think
it would make sense to generalize the readline handling a bit.
Furthermore, the readline.h include has moved recently on -current,
so the necessary Makefile fragment need to grow anyway; and I prefer
moving the stuff to central place than maintaining the stuff on dozen
different locations.

What I think would be useful
* add USE_READLINE variable - this would contain either "yes", or
  list of "special" stuff this application uses
* bsd.pkg.mk would test presence of /usr/include/{readline/}readline.h
  and test if all needed symbols are provided.
* bsd.pkg.mk would then set LIBREADLINE to either "edit" or "readline",
  add appropriate _DHAVE_READLINE_{READLINE_}H to CPPFLAGS or add
  readline to DEPENDS

Since various applications have generally different ways to enable
line editing, some further adjustments to individual packages would
need to be done, but hopefully it would not get too hackish.

Opinions ?

Jaromir

(Please keep me on CC: I'm not subscribed to this list)
--
Jaromir Dolecek <jdolecek@NetBSD.org>      http://www.ics.muni.cz/~dolecek/
@@@@  Wanna a real operating system ? Go and get NetBSD, dammit!  @@@@