Subject: Re: ${INSTALL}
To: Tomasz Luchowski <zuntum@eik.pl>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/24/2001 02:25:22
On Fri, 23 Feb 2001, Tomasz Luchowski wrote:
> I think it's pointless for me to send more PRs with patches
> for ${INSTALL} -> ${INSTALL_PROGRAM} and ${MKDIR} -> ${INSTALL_DATA_DIR}

Right, and I've closed them.

Please pay close attention to what INSTALL_PROGRAM etc. does:

	INSTALL_DATA_DIR?= \
	        ${INSTALL} -d -o ${SHAREOWN} -g ${SHAREGRP} -m ${BINMODE}

Now when come across something calling ${INSTALL} -d in a Makefile, like:

        ${INSTALL} -d -o bin -g games -m 0775 ${PREFIX}/share/angband

blindly replacing this with

	${INSTALL_DATA_DIR} ${PREFIX}/share/angband

is not a good idea as the group of the dir will be wrong. Setting it
via

	${INSTALL_DATA_DIR} -g group  ${PREFIX}/share/angband

may work, but it's not a good idea either, as install(8) will be
called with -g twice, and the result will be implementation defined.

A proper solution for this has yet to be found.

In the mean time, I'll dig through the non-problematic cases that should
work with "just" replacing $INSTALL -d.

 - Hubert

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>