Subject: Re: ja-php3 packages
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/21/2001 00:09:58
Thank you, Hubert.

Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de> wrote:

Hubert> Uh, i see a lot of redundancy with existing pkgs
Hubert> here, which make updating and general maintenance a
Hubert> nightmare, and we have a concensus not to go
Hubert> there. Can the "japanese language" part be merged
Hubert> into the existing pkgs that we already have, please?

Well, I want to do so too.  But before doing this, I should
clear some points.

1) In general, localized version tends to have delayed
update.  That is the problem especially if it takes long
time to fix the security holes.  Actually, before release of
ja-php-3.0.18, its version was 3.0.15 for several months.

2) Though ja-php team has done a great work to support
Japanese, the result (in my opinion) won't be merged into
php3 main source tree, and it's just a localized version, so
people other than need Japanese support have no benefits
from the merging.  This situation is unhappy for other esat
Asian language as well as European language.

Is it ok for people?

--
SUNAGAWA Keiki <kei_sun@ba2.so-net.ne.jp>
http://www05.u-page.so-net.ne.jp/ba2/kei_sun/