Subject: PREFIX as it applies to manpages...
To: BSD Packages <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Greywolf <greywolf@starwolf.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/19/2001 22:03:03
I'm noticing that there's something of a deficiency in the way that
manpages are handled, notably if one wants to install a package into
the core system (bind9 comes to mind -- named wants to start sometime
between the second and third mount script, but I really don't want to
mount wherever /usr/local or /usr/pkg or whatever happens to live
as a "critical" filesystem -- it goes against my grain of elegance).

[history:  bind 8.2.3-current is dumping core on me at regular intervals
for heaven knows what reason (in ns_resp() + 3412, addr 0x3bb30; I'm
building a -g version now) -- I've cvs-updated, and it's still happening,
and I'm not quite sure why.  Seeing as this is my main server for mail and
the like, I'm a bit reluctant to rebuild everything at the moment.]

So, anywho, there really should be a case for building in the base system,
some flag such as INSTALL_IN_BASE or something (feel free to rename it,
I can't think of anything better at the moment), to facilitate doing
just such an installation (this will show the necessity, by the way,
of having a separately-constructed ${MANDIR} variable for being able to
say "put the man pages in /usr/share/man and not in /usr/local/man".

I'm rambling, and I've composed this thought over the last several hours
of interruptions, and if anyone can make heads or tails of this and form
an opinion based on that, let me know what y'all think.

				--*greywolf;
--
*BSD: Microsoft ask you where you want to go.  BSD gets you there.