Subject: Re: Why does gnumeric depend on xscreensaver-gnome?
To: David Brownlee <abs@purplei.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/12/2001 10:02:15
On Mon, 12 Feb 2001, David Brownlee wrote:

> 	gnome-core includes xscreensaver-gnome.

It does look funny.

> 	It would seem that either there should be a package below
> 	gnome-core on which gnumeric and suchlike depend, or
> 	xscreensaver-gnome should be in a package which depends on
> 	gnome-core... or am I missing something?

Gnome controlcenter always included a screensaver (actually an older
version of xscreensaver). I ripped it out of the controlcenter
package, to replace it with the supported xscreensaver, but
controlcenter has to be installed first, in order for xscreensaver to
install it's control panel into it. gnome-core is next up on the chain.

I resisted splitting controlcenter into controlcenter-base and
controlcenter because gnome is already a monstrous web of
interdependencies, and besides, the benefits of adding another level
of abstraction are illusory -- anything that depended on gnome-core
would still end up depending on xscreensaver-gnome (since all the
indirect dependencies are presently stored in the package.

What do people install gnome-core _for_? If it's to get gnome-session,
and run gnome, people would ask where the screensaver is. If it's only
to run gnome apps like gtop and gnumeric, maybe users would be better
served if those packages only depended on controlcenter plus whatever
libs they actually needed.

Frederick