Subject: Re: Suggestion: devel/gettext in current
To: None <itojun@iijlab.net>
From: Ruibiao Qiu <ruibiao@arl.wustl.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/11/2001 16:36:39
On Mon, 12 Feb 2001 itojun@iijlab.net wrote:

>	we need devel/gettext for some packages, for gettext.m4 and other
>	suppliment files.  since we don't have autoconf/automake in base system
>	we do not ship them with the base system.

Ok, so, do you mean gettext wont be in the future release of
NetBSD?

>>Something like in bsd.pkg.mk may be of use:
>>
>>.if defined(USA_CURRENT_GETTEXT)
>>BUILD_DEPENDS+=                msgfmt:../../devel/gettext
>>.endif
>>
>>and remove all such "BUILD_DEPENDS+= .../devel/gettext" lines in
>>Makefiles.
>>
>>This can at least save some build time.
>
>	could you tell me what's the difference between them?  just to tidy up?
>	if we add USE_CURRENT_GETTEXT=yes in the makefiles, the effect is the
>	same.  (we end up having exactly the same addition to BUILD_DEPENDS).

Oops, I really meant ".if !defined..."

>>It can also avoid the
>>build errors when you have an old a.out gettext package on the
>>way.  (This problem caused me a lot of time. :( )
>
>	I don't understand this part at all.

I moved to current from a 1.4.2 system, but I had an old
a.out gettext packages built before.  So, when I tried to
build packages, I got a lot of complains about things like
"dgettext" unresolved until I realized the problem and did a
"pkg_delete" on gettext package, and comment out the
"BUILD_DEPENDS+= ../deve/gettext" lines in packages I wnat to
build.

Ruibiao