Subject: Re: questions about creating a new package
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/10/2001 00:43:40
On Fri, 9 Feb 2001, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> I was able to work-around the problems for my newest pkgsrc by adding a
> simple RCS tag $NetBSD$ to the files.
>
> What is the easiest or best way to create the correct RCS tags? (Any
> examples?)

That is the way to do it. It's a recognizable tag to cvs, so when the
file is checked in, cvs will substitute the standard, familiar tag for
that.

> To build my pkgsrc (both times), I manually created a directory under a
> category under my pkgsrc directory. Then I manually created the
> pkg/COMMENT, pkg/DESCR, pkg/PLIST, pkg/MESSAGE and Makefile files. The
> first time I manually created files/md5,  but this time is used 'make
> makesum'. Then to submit this new pkgsrc'd package I tar'd it up and made
> it available from my webpage.
>
> What is the correct way to do this? (How can I make a diff file that
> contains these new directories and files so I can just include it in my
> send-pr?)

A tar ball is fine. A shell archive is another possibility. [See
shar(1).] It is possible to make a patch against /dev/null of a new
file, though it's not commonly done for a package submission.
It could go something like:

   (find . | xargs diff -u /dev/null) >patch

> Now, that I added new things to my pkgsrc tree which I grabbed from CVS,
> next time I do an CVS update I'll have a few conflicts. How can I work
> around this? How can I do it correctly the first time?

I've made a "TEST" category in my pkgsrc tree. The relative path to
../../mk/bsd.{pkg,prefs}.mk is correct no matter what the intended
category, and "cvs update" only complains about the one directory
instead of one complaint for every package.

> Also, I've been told to use pkgdiff.

I've never used it, but I think it's for developing patches against
the distributed source -- it doesn't look to be useful for creating a
whole package.

Frederick