Subject: Re: pkg dependencies bite
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Masao Uebayashi <uebayasi@soum.co.jp>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/05/2001 13:06:32
> > Or how about build a baseline against the tag, then only update
> > packages as a group whose version numbers differ from the baseline
> > versions (so as not to overwrite the baseline packages). I'm working
> > on a set of scripts to help do this. I have most of the engine done --
> > a script to pluck the dependencies from pkgsrc, and another (a
> > four-pass awk script) to massage them into groups, but I'm still
> > struggling with how the command line options should look.
>
> Sounds nice, but how do you know a "baseline" of a package? I guess
> that we may have to make packages have stricter version so that we can
                                                  ^^^^^^^versionings
> pose dependencies on them and avoid dependency-related troubles.

I meant that PKGNAME (or other ID for a package if exist) has to have
richer information so that dependencies or relationships of packages
be clearer and easy to maintain.

(BTW, what's the official way to identify a package? We refer to
either build directories, look for PKGNAME, or binary package file
names.)

Masao