Subject: Re: how to find perl with BUILD_DEPENDS
To: Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 02/01/2001 17:11:38
On Thu, 1 Feb 2001, Johnny C. Lam wrote:

: > BUILD_DEPENDS+= perl:../../lang/perl5-base
: > 	by doing this, it will try to find perl from the search path.
: > 	it will build happy with /usr/bin/perl or something like that.
: >
: > 	===> Required executable perl: /usr/pkg/bin/perl found
:
: Unless /usr/bin/perl is perl4, and perl5 is required.  If we use the
: pkgsrc version of perl, we eliminate a possible source of errors.
: When I upgraded the pkgsrc perl to 5.6.0 a few months ago, I pointed
: all of the existing packages to ${PERL5} for this reason.  I'd welcome
: other opinions on the right thing to do here.

This was discussed almost three years ago, and we agreed that fixing on the
pkg-installed perl was fine.  (Honestly, I didn't know we had ever gone back
to a $PATH-search.)

--
-- Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --  http://www.wasabisystems.com/