Subject: KDE2 performance problem [was Re: kde2 feedback]
To: Ingolf Steinbach <ingolf@jellonet.de>
From: Nick Hudson <skrll@excite.co.uk>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/30/2001 10:25:19
On Tue, 30 Jan 2001 17:25:14 +0100, Ingolf Steinbach wrote:

>  On Mon, Jan 29, 2001 at 10:57:25PM -0800, Nick Hudson wrote:
>  > My web page does day that the problem is in libltdl. Its basically
taking a
>  > long time to find dependent libraries for dlopened modules.
>
>  What I do not understand is why it takes _this_ long:
>  The ktrace I sent you yesterday was about 30 seconds...

Well it looks for (numbers in brackets) each dependency (~20) in several
(~40) directories and tries to load using (~5) loaders.

>  Do you know if this problem also appears on non-NetBSD
>  platforms?

The reason it doesn't appear so bad in KDE stock distribution is that the
(old) libtool they are using does it differently. Look for differences in
ltdl.c between Aug 2000 and now.

Basically KDE2 doesn't use libtool properly and I need to send them a
message telling them. There is no use of -dlopen/-export-dynamic for example
which is just plain wrong.

Nick
--
aka skrll@netbsd.org, nick@nthcliff.demon.co.uk

 Get 100% private, FREE email for life from Excite UK
 Visit http://inbox.excite.co.uk/