Subject: Re: Bad definition of USE_LIBTOOL in bsd.pkg.mk
To: Todd Vierling <tv@wasabisystems.com>
From: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/26/2001 22:26:57
On Fri, 26 Jan 2001, Todd Vierling wrote:
> .if defined(USE_LIBTOOL)
> LIBTOOL=                ${LOCALBASE}/bin/libtool
> # XXX: actually, here we would need something like
> # BUILD_DEPENDS+=libtool>=1.3.5nb9:../../devel/libtool
> .if make(install-run-depends) || make(fetch-list-recursive) ||
> make(show-depends-dirs)
> DEPENDS+=               libtool>=1.3.5nb9:../../devel/libtool
> .endif
> .endif
>
> This is completely unacceptable.  It never should have been changed from a
> BUILD_DEPENDS in the first place -- there is no reason that packages should
> depend on libtool at runtime.

Um, guess what the "if make(install-run-depends) ||
make(fetch-list-recursive) || make(show-depends-dirs)" is there for? ;-)

The problem is that we can't tell with BUILD_DEPENDS what version we
want[*], and as such we did that hack.

> This needs to be changed back to BUILD_DEPENDS on
> ${LOCALBASE}/bin/libtool-VERSION, and the devel/libtool package needs to
> create a symlink in ${PREFIX}/bin/libtool-VERSION for the dependency (and
> add this to the libtool PLIST).

Taking a quick look shows that our current libtool pkg does not install
bin/libtool-VERSION, and as such I'm not sure what happens if someone
uses a -current bsd.pkg.mk with an old (installed) libtool pkg.

 - Hubert

[*] I once started moving BUILD_DEPENDS to the same semantics as DEPENDS,
    but got distracted once again. So many things to do, so little
    time.  :(

--
Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>