Subject: Bad definition of USE_LIBTOOL in
To: None <>
From: Todd Vierling <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/26/2001 14:01:43
From chat commentary elsewhere, I was just pointed to the following in the

.if defined(USE_LIBTOOL)
LIBTOOL=                ${LOCALBASE}/bin/libtool
# XXX: actually, here we would need something like
# BUILD_DEPENDS+=libtool>=1.3.5nb9:../../devel/libtool
.if make(install-run-depends) || make(fetch-list-recursive) ||
DEPENDS+=               libtool>=1.3.5nb9:../../devel/libtool

This is completely unacceptable.  It never should have been changed from a
BUILD_DEPENDS in the first place -- there is no reason that packages should
depend on libtool at runtime.

This needs to be changed back to BUILD_DEPENDS on
${LOCALBASE}/bin/libtool-VERSION, and the devel/libtool package needs to
create a symlink in ${PREFIX}/bin/libtool-VERSION for the dependency (and
add this to the libtool PLIST).

I don't want to stomp on someone's toes here, so will the appropriate person
please do the above?

-- Todd Vierling <>  *  Wasabi NetBSD:  Run with it.
-- NetBSD 1.5 now available on CD-ROM  --