Subject: Re: When to put \n in Makefile
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/22/2001 02:55:27
On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Hubert Feyrer wrote:

> > These are changes that fredb made to my Makefile.
> > I wonder which way is prefered -- shorter (many -e's in one line)
> > or more readable and easier to edit (my version, minuses).
> > [ I can easily delete one s/ with "dd" in my favourite editor,
> > and don't need to modify other ]

I see your point. On the other hand, guessing that we have the same
favorite editor, "W", "W",..., "dW" works about as well...

> > I don't want to complain, I'm just asking.
>
> Personally, I'd go for readbility. But i guess Fred has a reason for what
> he does.

That day, I was shooting for getting all the lines to under 80
columns, but there is no one right way, to my knowledge. I wouldn't
have changed your format at all if not for the extra blank lines
within some of the targets. Please don't be offended.

Frederick