Subject: Re: pkgdiff
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Tomasz Luchowski <zuntum@eik.pl>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/16/2001 22:43:09
On Tue, Jan 16, 2001 at 10:22:26PM +0100, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Tomasz Luchowski wrote:
> > hm... I'll start using 'diffvi foo' - something that will check
> > for foo.orig -- if it exists, vi foo, else cp foo foo.orig; vi foo
>
> Sounds like a neat idea - I've found myself often to end up with a changed
> file, with no backup made before. :/
;-) And I'm just bored with typing 'less foo' & if decided to modify it,
doing cp foo foo.orig; vi foo

Nice tool could do something like:

cp foo foo.tmp; vi foo.tmp [browsing, editing if necessary]
if changes were made, mv foo foo.orig && mv foo.tmp foo;
echo 'file has been modified. original file foo has been stored as foo.orig';
echo 'type the following command to make a diff:';
echo "pkgdiff foo.orig foo"

so one could copy-paste that and have diff immediatelly.

So we don't have 2 steps even if one decided to modify the file.

What do you think?

CC'ing to tech-pkg.

--
/* [zuntum] zuntum@eik.pl , [WWW] http://zuntum.net */