Subject: Re: Fast serial ports
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Blair M. Stilwell <stilwebm@yahoo.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/15/2001 06:48:10
Apparently these the serial ports on older sparcs are not unlike newer
Intel chips- some can go well beyond spec and some cannot.  I haven't
had any luck with my Sparc 2 getting above the 38400 specification.  If
you can't get 57600 on your serial port, you might try just using
38400, which isn't a huge performace hit, especially if you use
compression.  Of course, my 56K modem rarely connected above 40K, but
you might have better luck.  If you're going to spend money though, you
might just buy a cheap NIC and a crossover cable.

Blair