Subject: Re: Gale
To: Jeff Spies <>
From: Luke Mewburn <>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/11/2001 16:44:58
On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 10:03:23PM -0500, Jeff Spies wrote:
> I'm trying to install gale, a instant messaging system, under 1.5 with the
> eventual goal of packaging it.  I have a few basic questions though.  First
> off, is anyone currently working on gale, or has anyone already tried?
> Second does anyone know the status of:
> 2) The Boehm conservative garbage collector
> 3) Ian Jackson's asynchronous DNS library (ADNS)
> 4) Bruno Haible's libiconv
> As all four of these are prerquisites for gale to run.

As others have mentioned, all of these except adns were available as a
package at the time of your email.  I have created a package for adns
now, although you might get some strange results when running on an
i386 box with sources older than a few days because of a bug in div(3)
and ldiv(3) that I discovered and Frank van der Linden fixed.

	Install the following packages:

	Extract gale.

	Configure with:
		env CPPFLAGS="-I/usr/pkg/include -I/usr/pkg/include/rsaref" \
		    LDFLAGS="-R/usr/pkg/lib -L/usr/pkg/lib" ./configure

	Compile & install (into /usr/local) with:
		gmake install

	Create a user for `gale' to run as.

	Run `gale-install' to post-install, and follow the instructions.

I'll work on a package (unless one of our gun package creators feels
like doing it :)

Luke Mewburn  <>
Luke Mewburn     <>
Wasabi Systems - providing NetBSD sales, support and service.