Subject: Python package question.
To: None <tech-pkg@netbsd.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/05/2001 13:55:16
I'd like to bundle up a Python package (specifically, Pmw).  One thing
that's bothering me is that most Python packages include byte-code
compiled files as well as the .py sources.

Should I bother generating .pyc/.pyo files, or should I leave the files
as-distributed?

Also, the Pmw files have no configure process, etc.  The normal
installation seems to be just to install the whole Pmw tree into one's
Python module tree (<pkg>/lib/python2.0/site-packages/, say).  (An ideal
might even be to extract Pmw directly into site-packages, but I'm not sure
that that's possible with our pkgsrc system.)

How do I know which version of Python is installed, so that I can find the
site-packages directory?

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu