Subject: Re: Can't build kdelibs
To: Frederick Bruckman , Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
From: Alistair Crooks <AlistairCrooks@excite.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/05/2001 06:40:57
On Fri, 5 Jan 2001 08:02:11 -0600 (CST), Frederick Bruckman wrote:

>  On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>
>  > Section 2.4.2 of Packages.txt. A note about not using "pkg_add <URI>"
>  > at that point would be good, but I still think that a note in the
>  > README saying "if you have changed LOCALBASE, don't use pkg_add
>  > <URI>" is needed to.
>  >
>  > Another thought: can pkg_add be changed to not allow a user who has a
>  > different LOCALBASE to add by URI, or at least force them to do so
>  > with an additional command line option like "-d" for danger?
>
>  Better, fix "pkg_add -p". It would be nice, also, if pkg_add respected
>  the environment variable "LOCALBASE". You'd still have to be
>  consistent -- that should be documented in pkg_add(8), under "-p".
>
>  --
>
>  Frederick

I really don't think this is the right approach. Apart from all the other
instances of packages hardcoding LOCALBASE into binaries, config files, and
man pages, with ELF, any shared libraries and objects which are built have
their intended path hardcoded into them at link time. Moving prefices around
from underneath those libraries is just asking for trouble.

Regards,
Alistair

--
Alistair Crooks (agc@pkgsrc.org)