Subject: Re: Can't build kdelibs
To: Hubert Feyrer <hubert.feyrer@informatik.fh-regensburg.de>
From: Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/04/2001 18:35:07
At 3:27 AM +0100 1/5/01, Hubert Feyrer wrote:
>On Thu, 4 Jan 2001, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>  > # make show-var VARNAME=LOCALBASE
>>  /usr/local
>>  # pkg_info -qf jpeg
>>  @name jpeg-6b
>>  @cwd /usr/pkg
>
>Well, there's your problem. You have to decide on one LOCALBASE *once*,
>and then stick to it.

This could be made clearer in the pkgsrc information. Specifically,
/usr/pkgsrc/README says:

>It is also possible to use the packaging software to install
>pre-compiled binary packages by typing "pkg_add <URL-of-binary-pkg>".
>To see what binary packages are available, see:
>
>         ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/packages/<release>/<arch>/All/
>
>where <release> is the NetBSD release, and <arch> is the hardware
>architecture.

There is nothing in there that says "If you do this once, you must do
it forever." I propose the addition of a sentence to the text above
that says something to that effect.

>  Either use /usr/pkg or /usr/local. The latter means
>that you can't use precompiled binary packages but have to compile it all
>yourself. (No, pkg_add -p does not work properly!)

I'm mostly doing the latter (/usr/local) and used "pkg_add URL" once.
Is there any way I can back out of that problem, or am I completely
screwed forever on this system?