Subject: Re: What about startup scripts??
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Al B. Snell <alaric@alaric-snell.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/04/2001 20:43:19
On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> OK, so anything's possible. Your example, IMHO, demonstrates exactly
> why we should leave all the config's in /etc.

Why?

> By the way, xfstt installs to ${X11PREFIX}, not pkg. Some users set
> LOCALBASE to /usr/local, so they don't even have a /usr/pkg.

Yep, but there are existing solutions to all that - $LOCALBASE can be read
in the install script and the scripts created accordingly.

> If
> you want all the configs in one place, rather than in
> /usr/{,X11R6/,pkg/,local/}etc, that one place should be /etc. :-)

Yeah... but we don't want them all in one place!

> Here's my xfstt script. Compare. Here, the user edits exactly one line
> in /etc/rc.conf (or /etc/rc.conf.d/xfstt).

Whoa! You've gone right back to the "create rc.d scripts for packages in
exactly the same was as for everything else" method I suggested
originally! Everyone complained that package stuff should live outside of
the roo partition, which is why I came up with the system I've been
explaining, which provides the same features while keeping /usr/pkg
contained.

And you say "Here, the user edits exactly one..." as if this doesn't hold
for what I proposed too - just the line the user edits is in
/usr/pkg/etc/rc.conf instead in my version...

ABS

--
                               Alaric B. Snell
 http://www.alaric-snell.com/  http://RFC.net/  http://www.warhead.org.uk/