Subject: Re: What about startup scripts??
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 01/04/2001 03:07:41
On Wed, Jan 03, 2001 at 09:57:49AM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > These scripts, we concurred earlier, should all source
> > /usr/pkg/etc/rc.conf rather than having seperate config files.
>
> No. Please look at some existing rc.d scripts, and at /etc/rc. The
> rc.d scripts don't source config files. /etc/rc sources /etc/rc.conf,
> which in turn sources /etc/defaults/rc.conf, and then /etc/rc calls
> the shell function run_rc_script() over each script.

Actually, the individual rc.d scripts *also* read the config files
/etc/rc.conf (which may load /etc/defaults/rc.conf), and optionally,
/etc/rc.conf.d/foo, via the rc.subr function load_rc_config foo

In short, you can't assume that anything not on the root filesystem
(/usr is often in the category of `not on /') when /etc/rc runs and
loads /etc/rc.conf (et al), or in any /etc/rc.d scripts that get
ordered before /etc/rc.d/mountcritremote as per rcorder.

There's nothing stopping an /etc/rc.d script starting something in
/usr or /usr/pkg as long as that script is run after mountcritremote.

Luke.

--
Luke Mewburn  <lukem@wasabisystems.com>  http://www.wasabisystems.com
Luke Mewburn     <lukem@netbsd.org>      http://www.netbsd.org