Subject: Re: What about startup scripts??
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/31/2000 10:53:25
On Sun, 31 Dec 2000, Tim Rightnour wrote:

> >> Also at install time, and again at pkg_add time (via "INSTALL"),
> >> /etc/rc.{,pkg.}conf gets "somethingd=NO" if it doesn't contain
> >> ^somethingd= already, and the user is given some standard direction
> >> (via "MESSAGE").

> First.. IMHO.. I should only have to edit my startup configuration in *one*
> place, and that place should be /etc/rc.conf.  Anything you are adding should
> be appended to /etc/defaults/rc.conf.

Hmm. Folks may object (as Dominick already has) to frobbing
/etc/defaults/rc.conf. So how about the package system controls
/etc/defaults/rc.pkg.conf, which is sourced, and we leave it to the
user to enable the daemon by coping and pasting into /etc/rc.conf?

We all agree that the default should be "NO"? Besides the
philosophical reasons, many of the "daemons" in pkgsrc -- "xfstt",
"nasd", "rplayd", "wwwoffled" -- can just as easily be run by a user.

> But the problem with this is, now.. when I upgrade my machine..  BOOM.. all my
> defaults go away.

A source upgrade doesn't touch /etc, but for a "sysinstall" upgrade,
see my other message.

> I think the only right way to do this, is during the release cycle.. and this
> means:
>
> 1) breaking out rcorder to run in two stages, stage 1, pre-usr, stage 2
> post-usr.

Sounds messy. At the very least, you'd need to break /etc/rc.d in two
-- one directory to run solo, which ends with "mountall", and the
second to be run together with /usr/{X11R6,pkg}/etc/rc.d. Then you
have to deal with the fact that someone may have set X11PREFIX to
/usr/X11R6-DRI, or LOCALBASE to /usr/local. Better if we can avoid all this.

Frederick