Subject: Re: What about startup scripts??
To: Dominik Rothert <dr@astorit.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/31/2000 09:20:15
On Sun, 31 Dec 2000, Dominik Rothert wrote:

> > On Sat, 30 Dec 2000, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > > The package maintainer sets "HAS_RC_SCRIPT=somethingd" in the
> > > package's "Makefile", (after creating the script, of course). [The
> > > name of the script is the name of the daemon is the name of the
> > > variable, but you can't necessarily infer it from the name of the
> > > package, therefore HAS_RC_SCRIPT is set to the name of the script, and
> > > not to "yes".]
>
> IMHO it is better to set HAS_RC_SCRIPT to either YES or NO.
> Therefore, the RC-script is named after the package and that way
> we have a consistent naming for RC-scripts. In other respects I see
> people naming their RC-scripts "foobar". ;-)

I was thinking to name the scripts the same as the daemon -- the
daemon for the "wwwoffle" package is called "wwwoffled", for the "nas"
package it's called "nasd", for "bind" it's called "named". You might
want a "bind" script called "named" that overwrites the one in the
base system, so we need some way to specify the name of the script.

We could have the script name default to be the same as the package if
"defined(HAS_RC_SCRIPT)", but allow it to be overriden by setting
"RC_SCRIPT" in the "Makefile".

Frederick