Subject: Re: What about startup scripts??
To: Al B. Snell <alaric@alaric-snell.com>
From: Dominik Rothert <dr@astorit.com>
List: tech-pkg
Date: 12/31/2000 12:45:56
"Al B. Snell" <alaric@alaric-snell.com> wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Dec 2000, Frederick Bruckman wrote:
> > The package maintainer sets "HAS_RC_SCRIPT=somethingd" in the
> > package's "Makefile", (after creating the script, of course). [The
> > name of the script is the name of the daemon is the name of the
> > variable, but you can't necessarily infer it from the name of the
> > package, therefore HAS_RC_SCRIPT is set to the name of the script, and
> > not to "yes".]

IMHO it is better to set HAS_RC_SCRIPT to either YES or NO.
Therefore, the RC-script is named after the package and that way
we have a consistent naming for RC-scripts. In other respects I see
people naming their RC-scripts "foobar". ;-)

> > The package machinery installs the script to
> > /usr/${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d at install time, and adds it to the PLIST.

( ${PREFIX}/etc/rc.d} )

> > Also at install time, and again at pkg_add time (via "INSTALL"),
> > /etc/rc.{,pkg.}conf gets "somethingd=NO" if it doesn't contain
> > ^somethingd= already, and the user is given some standard direction
> > (via "MESSAGE").

I think that we should have the configuration file for package RC-scripts
in ${PREFIX}/etc, not /etc.

-Dominik

--
/*  Dominik Rothert         |           dr@astorit.com  *